Saturday, September 8, 2012

Orientation week

So the past 6 days in Arad have been filled with "fun" lectures lasting for hours about alcohol safety, sexual encounters, and rules of Year Course. A few days ago though, we got the apartment debit card and got to go shopping for our apartment for the first time. We bought 16 bags of shoko be sakit (chocolate milk in a bag for those of you who have never had the privelege to try it), a handful of junk food, some healthy food, and a bunch of other things. If we save up hopefully we'll have enough for a nice steak dinner at the end of the month or something. I can't explain how amazing the past week has been. I came on the gap year not knowing anyone and now it feels like I've known them all for years. The apartment is great although it's in a huge mess right now but that's just because we've been to lazy to unpack everything. My roomates are awesome and we are one of the only rooms with Midwest kids in our section. 2 of them are from Milwaukee, one from Minneapolis, and one's from Pittsburgh. Here's a nice photo of us:


Friday and Saturday we spent "Shabbat Beyachad"/Shabbat together. Before Shabbat came in, they took us to a lookout from where we could see the backside of Masada, and in the distance we could also see the dead sea. We then went to dinner and spent all of Shabbat as a family. After sleeping in Saturday Morning, we had the choice to do some activities. Myself and a few others all chose to do yoga, in which we stretched for about 20 minutes and ended up sleeping for half an hour.


In a few hours, I am leaving my apartment for a week for a program called "Sar-El". I will be staying on an army training base and helping the soldiers with whatever they need, whether it be packing parachutes into bags, or helping out the commanders. I'm a bit nervous but kind of excited too. Friday and Saturday, theres a possibility I may go kayaking but I haven't figured that one out just yet. I'm going to have limited internet access this week so if I don't manage to post this week have a Shavua Tov/great week

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about what you're doing. What an adventure you are having! I am very glad that you've met some nice people and settling in. News from our area - District 219 teachers are working without a contract, hopefully there will not be a strike like the Chicago Teachers' strike which is going into day 4. The Bears are playing the Packers tomorrow (Thursday). Matt is up in Milwaukee now and I told him that he can NOT be a Packer fan! LOL NN homecoming is Sept 21and the new pool is moving forward. Your friends in Skokie miss you. Stay well and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete